02 03 My Happy Place: Clean That Hard Water Buildup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Clean That Hard Water Buildup

34
As long as my husband loves hard water, we will be fighting the hard water deposits.  Our black kitchen sink is a prime example.  We are getting some serious water deposits around the faucet.
Looks pretty good from a distance, doesn't it?
Let's take a closer look.


I think the sprayer nozzle is the worst!
You wouldn't believe how I've tried to scrape and chip this stuff off, but it was there to stay!


Look at the bottom of my soap dispenser, do you see the white ring?  That's what I'm talking about.
Shows up nicely on a black sink, doesn't it?


Cleaning my white paint brush from my most recent project doesn't help much.


Here is a good look from behind...



Since I was giving it a good cleaning, I decided to also put a theory that I've heard about, to the test.  First, I have to say that I've tried so many different abrasive cleaners on these stains, but with no luck. Then I learned how wonderful vinegar is, at removing hard water stains.  I filled a small dish with vinegar, soaked some paper towels, and wrapped the wet paper towels around the base of the faucet areas and let them sit for probably close to 30 minutes.
(Sorry, I didn't get pictures of this step...I know it's the most important part!!)
After soaking in the vinegar paper towels,  I couldn't believe how easily the hard water stains came right off!  Those nasty white rings came off with no difficulty!  The only trouble I had was on the sprayer nozzle.  I don't know if the paper towel wasn't fit tightly to the sprayer well enough, or what, but it didn't work well.  So I tried a different approach and stuck the nozzle right in the vinegar bowl and allowed it to soak while I did other things.


After 15 minutes I lifted the nozzle out of the vinegar, and I could see some progress!


But I also accidentally gave myself a shot of water in the face....
felt like April Fools Day all over again for a minute.


I put it back in to soak for another 15 minutes and check it out!  Not one crusty hard water spot!


I couldn't believe how easily the vinegar got that gunk off!


 The only regret is that I didn't know about this earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of scrubbing. 



 So there you have it.  If you have a hard water lover in your household, I'm here to tell you,
VINEGAR WORKS!






Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38