02 03 My Happy Place: How To Store Lettuce 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

How To Store Lettuce

34


Does your lettuce go bad before you get a chance to use all of it?  Are you throwing money down the garbage disposal in the form of brown, yucky lettuce?  I used to, a lot.  (This sounds like a bad commercial!)  Seriously though, years ago I came across the best tip ever about storing lettuce, and maybe you all know about this, but I sure didn't.  Even my own mother didn't.
Sorry mom.  :)
I've been storing my lettuce this way ever since.  It stays crisp and fresh to the very last little bit.  Every single head.  I bet there are others besides myself, out there who just might be learning this for the first time, like I did years ago.  If that's the case, I hope this makes you as happy as it makes me! 



  1. Rinse lettuce well.  For green leafy lettuce, cut off bottom and wash each individual leaf. 
  2. Drain onto a paper towel. 
  3. With another paper towel, wrap your lettuce and fit inside a gallon ziplock bag.  Zip closed, and store in your refrigerators produce drawer. 

    Do the same with iceburg lettuce, wash and remove the stem, then wrap in a dry paper towel. 

I like to have 2 or 3 different kinds of lettuce in the fridge at all times, so I can pull together a quick salad in a snap.
Try it out!  Just watch how long your lettuce will stay fresh!
Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know this until her 30's.
:)

~Cammi~






Image credit: michaeljung / 123RF Stock Photo

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38